FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE

Wednesday

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. It's the day that we, as a nation, stop and reflect on the things that we are thankful for. Ok, with all of the travelling that happens on this holiday, we don't actually STOP. But, you know what I mean.

It is a day, regardless or religion, race, creed, or background that we can express our gratefulness for the things we have. Family, friends, careers, miraculous medical recoveries, whatever. We all have something to be thankful for.

That is what this day is all about.

Of course, there are those who choose to use this holiday as an excuse to indoctrinate 3rd graders with their Anti-American views.

But, that is not the point of this blog. I would like to take a second to express what I am thankful for. In no particular order:

It is trite, but I am thankful for my family. Even though I have disagreements and long, drawn-out arguments with some of them, my family remains a thing that I am grateful for.

I am thankful for my God, who loved me so much that he sent his Son to die for me. No words can express my gratitude. I can only strive to express my gratitude and love by living my life for him, and giving him praise.

Lastly, I am thankful for my country. I live in the greatest country this world has ever seen. Despite what some may say, the United States of America is the greatest force of good in the modern world. No other country, past or present, has done so much for humanity.

It is our love for freedom which defines our goodness. Because we hold freedom so dear, we can speak out against our leaders when we disagree. We can speak out against those in our country who do not have our best interest at heart.

We can control our own success or failure with the decisions we make. We are not bound to any class or economic status. We can experience the upward-mobility that other country's citizens only dream of.

All of this is possible through the thing we hold so dear...freedom.

Yes, we have our problems. We always have room for improvement. But, it is freedom which will drive us to improvement. It is freedom which compels us toward greatness.

For that, I am thankful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home