FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE

Monday

Somebody's Gotta Say It

Yes, it’s true. Hard to believe, but it’s true. I, David Simms, am reading a book.



Now that you have picked yourself up off of the floor, I’ll elaborate. I am in the process of reading “Somebody’s Gotta Say It,” by my favorite radio host of all time, Neal Boortz. For those of you not familiar with Boortz or his show, look him up. Some may write him off as another “right-wing, fascist talking-head.” But, give him a listen before you judge. You might be surprised by what you hear.

He is a confirmed Libertarian. Though he has a lot of conservative leanings, he often sides against the Republicans. Truly he is beholden to no particular political Party. As Boortz is so fond of saying, “I am an equal opportunity offender.” He is the High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth.

I enjoy his radio show. So, naturally, I was interested in reading his newest book, “Somebody’s Gotta Say It.” I picked up a copy last week, and, for the life of me, I can’t put it down.

The book is filled with several incredible chapters discussing everything from Government Schools to the alleged “Right to Vote.” Though all of the chapters are entertaining, a few are truly enlightening.

There is one particular quote from his book that I just had to share, which brings me to the point of this blog. He begins the book by discussing his entry into the talk radio world. I’ll spare you the details, in case you want to read the book for yourself. But, in the midst of recalling his first job in radio, Boortz makes the following statement:

“Luck is opportunity met by preparation.”

How true. We would all do well to remember that. People do not succeed in this world by mere happenstance. It is not good fortune shinning down on them. It is through hard work and preparation. It is through intelligent and reasoned decision-making. When an opportunity arises, they are prepared to take advantage of it. And, they go after it no matter the obstacles in their way.

Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home